Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thoughts on Siberia

I am no Russian historian, but if I remember correctly, Siberia is the place where conspirators against the communist regime were sent to be punished and tortured. It would seem that part of that punishment was Siberia's extremely cold weather which would freeze the poor bodies of these individuals and render any hope of happiness utterly impossible. You can imagine my excitement, then, when Sam Champion from Good Morning America announced that today would be an extremely cold one for the midwest. As he explained and I am not exaggerating a cold front has been building up in Siberia and a wind current has pushed those temperatures down through Canada and right into Normal. Ergo, I am in Siberia.

Having been here three years now, I can confidently say that I have never felt cold like this before. In most cases, the cold is a kind of bone-chilling, grab a cup of hot soup, get inside soon lest you lose your ears kind of feeling. This, however, is something different, and I am not willing to spend more than a minute out in it so that I can describe it more accurately.

At least the sun is shining, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kyle,

Do you want to go for a run outside today? :)