Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Things not to say to someone who is about to determine your grade in a class . . .

1. Be Kind
2. It's not as good as I would like it to have been, I just needed more time
3. Sorry you have to read this
4. I haven't slept in, like, three days
5. Yep, I just pushed through this cause I have more important stuff to take care of
6. Thanks for an "interesting" class
7. I really like my HOL paper, but the rest is really bad
8. How hard are you grading these?
9. Yeah, I am just not really that into technology (in a class about technology)
10. I hope I pass
11. This cover art thing you had us do was bullshit
12. Me: why do you have a picture of a cartoon man hammering a computer on your cover?
Student: why, do others have a similar picture too?
Me: yep, is that how you feel about this class?
Student: (sheepish grin) kind of . . .
Me: (as they turn the corner out of my office) "F"


Yikes, maybe I should start my courses with what not to say to the instructor in order to maximize your grade potential. Are students really that oblivious?

2 comments:

Tara and Bryan said...

What kind of grade would you give to somebody if they came in and told you that they thought you were "Hot"? What if that same person was a man?

KPJ said...

I would say thanks and give them the grade they earned.